Two people have died as a result of an exposure to a drug-resistant bacterium at UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center, according to CBS Los Angeles. The exposure took place between October 2014 and January 2015 while the patients were undergoing complex endoscopic procedures. The scopes used were cleaned in accordance with the manufacturer’s directions, but the carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae, or CRE, bacteria may have been transferred during the scope’s use. 179 people are believed to have been exposed to the bacteria, and at least five are infected. Two more people have died in connection with the exposure. The hospital has removed the infected scopes and is decontaminating the hospital and attempting to contact all exposed patients.
If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in a personal injury incident, and you believe another person or party to be at fault, contact Haire Law for an evaluation of your case. Visit the contact us page or call 940-484-5555 for more information regarding the settlement you may be entitled to.