Atmos Energy is being sued by the family of an eight-year-old girl that was severely burned after an explosion at the family’s North Richland Hills home in December. The young girl, a niece of the homeowners, went to the bathroom and turned on the light, causing an explosion so intense that windows shattered and walls were blown out, according to the lawsuit reported by the Dallas Morning News. Maya Javier suffered second-degree burns on 40% of her body as a result of the accident, which was allegedly caused by a gas leak on the street where the blast occurred. Atmos Energy has not confirmed whether or not that was indeed the cause. Javier’s family is suing for her medical bills, the damage to the home, and for the psychological effects of the incident.

If you or someone you love has suffered a personal injury and you believe another person or party to be at fault, contact Haire Law for an evaluation of your case. Visit the contact us page or call 940-484-5555 for more information regarding personal injury and wrongful death suits.